With London Fashion Week drawing to a close, the capital’s mind is firmly on falling in love with new clothes. Love Your Clothes, a campaign to help reduce the impact of clothing on the environment, is helping Londoners love their existing wardrobes by running 20 FREE events, from September 19, across the city. The events will give fashion-conscious Londoners advice on how to care and repair the clothes they love. Each workshop will offer unique tips, insights and practical advice on how to repair or up-cycle clothes. Run by ‘super crafters’ the workshops range from being designed for those that are a dab hand with a needle to complete novices.
Clothing consumption currently accounts for over 5% of the UK’s total annual carbon and water footprints. So, the campaign is calling on Londoners to make small changes to make a big difference and reduce the impact of clothes on the environment. If clothes stayed in active use for nine months longer (extending their average life to around three years), their carbon, water and waste footprints would be reduced by 20-30%.
A full list of the workshops can be found below, so you can pick the event closest to you. For those unable to attend one of the workshops, Love Your Clothes website is packed full of top tips, films and downloadable guides on everything from how to build a capsule wardrobe, removing common stains to repairing broken zips and crafting projects for families – all for FREE. Get started with our care and repair video guides.
Love Your Clothes London was created in partnership with WRAP (The Waste and Resources Action Programme) and Recycle for London.
What will the workshops cover?
The workshops with cover on of the two following themes:
Alterations & repair
Workshops will cover some or all of the following:
- shortening or adding materials
- mending and darning holes
- fixing buttons & zips
- taking up trousers/skirts
- altering waistlines
- sewing on buttons/making buttonholes
- quick fixes for tears, including patching
- re-threading cords and elasticated areas (hand sewing).
Re-styling & customisation
Workshops will cover some or all of the following:
- using appliqué, lace, embellishments and other fabrics to transform clothes into new pieces
- using a combination of machine and hand sewing to alter, re-tailor, re-fashion and customise garments in stylish ways.
Book your FREE workshop place
To book your place at one of the twenty FREE repair and upcycling workshops happening across the city, use the links below.
You can also use our events search - simply enter your postcode to find the workshops closest to you.
Some events require you to book a free place. Follow the links below to book a free ticket on Eventbrite.
- Waltham Forest, 17th September, 13:00-16:00: Frederick Bremer School
- Barnet, 8th October, 15:00-18:00: Arts Depot, 5 Nether Street, North Finchley Road, N12 0GA. Book your free ticket.
- Merton, 11th October at 11:00-12:30 and 13:00-14:30: Wimbledon Piazza, pedestrianised shopping area
- Hackney, 11th October at 18:00-21:00: Fabrications, 7 Broadway Market, Hackney, London, E8 4PH
- Newham, 12th October, 16:00: The Gate Library, Woodgrange Road, E7
- Richmond, 13th October at 18:30-21:30: ETNA Community Centre, 13 Rosslyn Road, Twickenham, Richmond, TW1 2AR. Book your free ticket
- Kingston, 13th October at 11:00-12:30 and 13:00-14:30: Kingston's Ancient Market, pedestrianised shopping area
- Croydon, 16th October at 11:00-12:30 and 13:00-14:30: North End pedestrianised shopping area, Croydon, CR0 1TY
- Harrow, 17th October at 11:30-14:30: Wealdstone Library, 38-40 High Street, Wealdstone HA3 7AE. Book your free ticket
- Hillingdon, 18th October at 18:30-21:30: Our Lady of Lourdes and Saint Michael, Osborn Rd, Uxbridge UB8 1UE. Book your free ticket
- Ealing, 19th October at 19:30-21:00: Walpole Room, Ealing Town Hall, New Broadway, London W5 2BY. Book your free ticket
- Wandsworth, 19th October at 18:30 to 21:30: The Old School Club, Unit 141 Battersea Business Centre, 99-109 Lavender Hill, London SW11 5QL. Book your free ticket
- Brent, 19th October at 12:00-15:00: Willesden Green Library Centre, 95 High Rd, London NW10 2SF. Book your free ticket
- Greenwich, 20th October 15:00-16:30 and 16:30-18:00: Barnfield Hub, Herbert Place, SE18 3BD
- Westminster, 22nd October at 13:00-16:00: Paddington Library
- Havering, 22nd October at 10:30 to 12:30: Hornchurch L'by, North Street, Hornchurch, RM11 1SU
- Sutton, 22nd October at 11:00-12:30 and 13:00-14:30: Sutton High Street (pedestrianised shopping area), SM3 8RW
- Hounslow, 26th October at 12:00-15:00: Hounslow Library, Treaty Shopping Centre, High St, Hounslow TW3 1ES. Book your free ticket
- Ealing, 26th October at 19:30-21:00: Walpole Room, Ealing Town Hall, New Broadway, London W5 2BY. Book your free ticket
- City of London, 29th October at 14:00-17:00: Lilac Room, Barbican Estate Office, 3 Lauderdale Place, London. Booking: email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 7606 3110.
- Southwark, 31 October: Recycling Discovery Centre, at Southwark MRF, 43 Devon Street, London SE15 1AL